Another simple Instant Pot recipe that your kids will love! It’s also very versatile so it’s great for leftovers. You can use it for burritos, nachos, salad, tacos, or just eat it as it is!
Instant Pot Southwestern Rice and ChickenCourse: DinnerCuisine: MexicanDifficulty: Easy
2 chicken breasts
1 1/4 cups brown rice
15 oz can black beans
1 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup salsa
1 1/4 cups chicken stock (or water)
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp shredded cheddar cheese
- Add rice, black beans, corn, salsa, and chicken stock into instant pot. Stir ingredients together.
- Add chicken breasts into instant pot (leave them whole) so they are sitting in the liquid.
- Add the spices (chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and cumin) on top of the chicken and in the liquid. Stir the liquid a little bit to incorporate the spices.
- Put the instant pot lid on, make sure the valve is sealed. Set it to manual high for 20 minutes.
- Once it’s done, you can do a quick pressure release.
- Take chicken breasts out of instant pot and shred them (you can do a hand mixer to do this or just shred with 2 forks). Fluff rice mixture in the instant pot with a fork.
- Add shredded chicken back into the instant pot. Add shredded cheese and mix everything together.
- Ways to enjoy this: on top of nachos, as a dip with chips, in a burrito, in tacos, in a quesadilla, on a salad. The options are endless!!
- Recipe adapted from Meaningful Eats